May 1, 2013

My Homemade Bolognese Sauce Recipe

Bolognese sauce with magic touch
The very first recipe I've learned in my life was my mother's bolognese recipe. It was quite easy to prepare, and I used to prepare this sauce since my 15th birthday as my mom worked outside and I wanted to help her have less work after her day job.

With time, I improved the recipe, added more vegetables, then also added my personal touch (mushrooms) and even more spices (tabasco and/or pili-pili). I also changed the type of meat and switched minced beef with minced porc so that the sauce was tastier and, hm... fatter ;)


However, the basic recipe never changed : I always used to add canned peeled and diced tomatoes to the sauce and never dared to prepare such a sauce using fresh tomatoes.
Diced fresh tomatoes

But not long ago, I made a bolognese sauce using the huge number of fresh tomatoes that I forgot in the fridge and that were at the risk of ending up in the garbage can! I prepare the bolognese for a few friends who found it so tasteful that they ask me to prepare it for them when they come home - me I prefer paella and other seafood meals to say the truth. However, I now enjoy preparing bolognese sauce because, indeed, using fresh diced tomatoes and my secret seasoning ingredient makes the preparation delicious.

So here's my homemade bolognese sauce recipe.

Ingredients:

Diced garlic
  • 1 P Minced beef meat
  • 1/2 P Minced pork meat
  • 2 P small fresh tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 diced onions (to taste)
  • Diced garlic (to taste)
  • 1 carrot cut into small dice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Italian herbs (spaghetti mix or individual herbs such as oregano, basil, etc.)
  • 1 teaspoon Harrissa
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cube meat stock
  • rated parmesan
Assemble all ingredients

Directions:

  1. In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil
  2. Pour diced onions and garlic
  3. Remove from the pan and set aside
  4. Add some more olive oil
  5. Mix beef et pork meat together and pour in hot oil
  6. When meat is cooked, add oinions and garlic and then diced tomatoes and carrot
  7. Cook for 30 minutes, add a meat stock cube, some water and some tomato puree (optional)
  8. Cook on a low heat for another 30 minutes and then add the teaspoon Harrissa, salt and pepper, Italian herbs and assemble
  9. Cook for another 30 minutes on a low heat
  10. Serve with spaghetti, linguine or tagliatelli and sprinkle some parmesan for the finishing touches.
If you want, you can add sliced mushrooms to the preparation, they work very well with bolognese. However mushrooms aren't a basic ingredient of this dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment